Join some of the world’s best problem-solvers, pioneers, and out-of-the-box thinkers.
Everspring partners with prestigious traditional universities to create a new standard of excellence in online education. Our dynamic and innovative team shapes the culture of our company and powers our university partners’ success. We are not a typical online education company – Everspring’s unique approach influences everything we do. Join us as we help redefine the future of education.
Everspring provides technology, marketing, enrollment, and curriculum design services. We’re a secure, growing startup that is scaling up. The VP Software Engineering will have tremendous impact on the future of our business along with a positive impact on the lives of thousands of graduate students.
In this role, you will lead the software development team of 5-10 that builds useful, reliable, secure, and scalable software used by Everspring staff and students and faculty of our university partners. In addition to managing people and processes, you will provide subject matter expertise in the areas of software architecture and engineering, systems design, and integration. The development team uses a Java-based integration system along with PHP, Angular, Spring, NoSQL, and third-party platforms like Canvas, Salesforce, and Talkdesk.
Our ideal candidate is a seasoned Engineering leader with experience in a startup or similar company who can grow teams of software engineers, building scalable agile technology solutions as the company grows and adapts.
Based at our Chicago Loop headquarters near Ogilvie and Union Stations.
- Lead overall strategy and for software development, team development and motivation
- Provide holistic oversight of software development and product architecture enabling teams to estimate thoughtfully and deliver software on time
- Work with cross-functional teams (Learning Design, Marketing, Admissions) to provide high-level alignment of operating units to ultimately provide a high-quality product
- Manage product budgets from inception to execution
- Work with SVP Technology and Director, Technology to ensure that appropriate infrastructure is in place for proposed products
- Provide formal and informal updates and communication to the Everspring leadership team
- Support pre-sales and RFP activities for complex contracts with large universities
- Work in support of multiple agile release trains, epics and scrum teams providing technical oversight and leadership to embedded software engineers and leads.
- Lead investigation of new software packages/vendors, APIs, and algorithms to deliver quality solutions at enterprise scale.
- Ensure rigorous engineering and development processes
- Advocate/lead best practices for performance, reliability, scalability, security, and reusability
- Recruit, hire, and mentor exceptional software engineering talent
- Facilitate discussions and resolve conflicts involving technical approaches, designs, and personnel
- Advise and work with client contacts at partner institutions to determine scope and value proposition for custom software solutions and products
- Inspire and motivate teams to create a strong culture of engineering excellence
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar
- 12+ years of proven experience developing commercial quality software products and solutions
- Demonstrated experience defining, refining, and maintaining application architectures for sophisticated end-user software products
- Proven ability to manage, prioritize, and negotiate timetables to deliver high quality software on time
- Deep knowledge of a variety of technology components and stacks
- Experience in agile development practices
- Deep understanding of performance, reliability, scalability, security, and reusability tactics and strategies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience managing small or medium-sized teams
- Deep understanding of AWS cloud platform and SaaS architectures
- Experience in a startup or small/mid-sized organization that has scaled is preferred
- Consulting or client-facing engineering experience is preferred